[Beowulf] Opteron cooling specifications?

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Mon May 1 13:25:34 PDT 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 08:41, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > 50u racks are also available (I've seen them in colo facilities)...
> > personally I don't like racking things that far over my head.
>
> I don't really care about that, myself - racking any serious number
> is a two-person job anyway.

Two or more people for throughput -- in parallel.  But do you use two people
to rack a 1U server?

I find that racking a ~32-35 lb. 1U server into position U42 is fine.  In
fact, at my height (6'4" tall), position U30 is probably the hardest
location. :)   I've found that sufficient height, decent strength, and good
physical coordination are important, but otherwise it's never been a
problem.  Don't know what OSHA would say. :)

Oh wait, are you talking racking without rails?  Yeah, that almost always
takes two people no matter what the weight or height.

I've never worked with a 50U rack so can't comment there.

David