[Beowulf] [owner-chemistry at ccl.net: CCL: Wireless cluster]

Luc Vereecken Luc.Vereecken at chem.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Mar 24 08:59:23 PST 2006

Hi John,

If the application is sufficiently coarsed-grained, i.e. sufficiently
embarassingly parallel, it will work imo. It will work more like a
grid environment than a cluster, but for coursegrained work that is enough.
The main problem might be maintenance and installation: with a
wireless connection it is not adviced to have a pxc-boot install or
NFS shared directories. If all nodes are fat and selfreliant, I would
go for it if the situation demands such a setup.

Nonetheless: 8 nodes is not that much. I still advice to double check
if there is no way to hardlink them, as having a 1Gb ethernet or even
a 100Mb wire connection has many benefits over a (possibly
unreliable) wireless connection.

Luc Vereecken