[Beowulf] 8-socket Opteron systems - what is your experience ?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 21 18:29:37 PST 2006

Konstantin,

First ask them whether it supports dual core chips, if it doesn't
then obviously you'll be better off with a quad dual core. It's a lot
cheaper too.

Tyan has also something similar to this, might be a cheaper solution and
works dual core.

Most go for that one instead of the iwill. I'm not sure why.

For your software, it depends upon how embarrassingly parallel it is,
don't expect big miracles from that connection between those 2 boards.

If all your cpu's communicate with all cpu's, then this could be a very ugly
buy for you.

My Diep was one of the few who could cope with such latencies and runs fine
at these
machines.

Even then, at 16 cores i have to recompile it so that communication
to the 8 memory controllers gets reduced, or you get traffic jams.

If your software is very embarrasingly parallel, consider buying a cluster
from A64 dual cores with
gigabit connections. It's a lot cheaper!

Good luck,
Vincent