[Beowulf] OT: someone seems to be submitting viruses/spam in my name to the list

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sat Mar 18 04:40:31 PST 2006

Folks:

   Someone seems to have written a script to submit viri/spam in my name
to the list.

   First off, I am sorry that this is happening, I don't know who it is,
or where it is coming from.  As we rarely use windows machines apart
from running MS-Office* applications for reasons relating to the
security and stability of windows machines (and how hard it is, e.g. how
much time and effort and money you have to pay, to secure and stabilize
them), it unheard of for us to mail tnef files about, or winmail.dat
files about.

   Again, I am sorry if this is impacting anyone, though there is little
we can do about it, as we are not the ones doing it.  If someone has
received such a mail, please let me know, I would like very much to
inspect the full headers.

   Joe

* if MSFT made MS-Office for Linux as it does MacOSX (and this should
not be hard, it is obviously not a technological issue preventing it
from doing so), I wouldn't need a dual boot machine.  VMware is still
too slow to be functional for MS-Office due to the sheer bulk of Office
and the stress it places upon systems.  Of course this is about as
likely as pigs sprouting wings and flying, but hope springs eternal that
MSFT will not forever turn its back on a market of this size, and that
business sense and reality will trump ego.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com