[Beowulf] A bit OT - scientific workstations - recommendations

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Mar 10 12:56:17 PST 2006

> I have heard stories about some of the first vacuum tube computers where a
> a full time technician walked around inside the computer
> and replaced blown out tubes - between every program run. I tend to
> think this has a certain myth aspect to this story, but like all myths it
> probably has some truth to it.

   Also somewhat OT, I highly recommend the audio and slides for George
Dyson's talk exploring the history of what would become the computer
science department at Princeton, mainly focused on Von Neumann:

the slides are large (114 MB) and he flips through them pretty quickly,
but gives some very interesting insights into one of the birthplaces of
modern computing.

Duke University Department of Computer Science, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/