[Beowulf] Mixed platform multimedia rendering cluster (newbie)

Josh Harrison jharriso at u.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 8 14:56:03 PST 2006

Hello everyone,
I'm a student worker for the University of Arizona's Office of Student
computing resources, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good resource for
the following projects:
We're looking to build (possibly) an x-grid cluster that will render scenes
from Maya, movies from FinalCut, possibly Vue d'Esprit, and various Adobe
programs, including after effects.
I'd also like to investigate the possibility of getting a structure similar to
e-on Software's Vue d'Esprit RenderCow (dedicated controller, using latent CPU
and GPU cycles to render) running on our windows XP systems that would allow us
to do renders in the programs listed above.
What would be really cool is if there was an implementation that acted like
rendercow, and could use the power of both our x86 systems and our PPC systems
as a render farm.
I know this isn't really a beowulf cluster question, and unfortunetly, we can't
migrate our client nodes to anything other than OSX and XP, but I'm hoping
someone will have some insights as to where I should look, or who I should talk
to about configuring a cluster controller to do what I'm thinking about.
Thanks for any help,
Josh Harrison
University of Arizona Office of Student Computing Resources
Multimedia Tech Lead
--
Josh Harrison
Multimedia Technical Lead

a alphabetically be in organised sentence should words