[Beowulf] "dual" Quad solution from Tyan

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Mar 1 13:49:59 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 20:49 +0000, Ricardo Reis wrote:

> The professor head of the lab wants me to know "if that is so good why
> isn't everyone buying one?"
Ricardo,
  the answer is that people are buying them.
I'm answering as we are a European company, and this is a UK website.
Speak to your local friendly clustering company.

We have shipped, and are shipping, many dual socket/dual core machines.

We have shipped to customers four and eight socket machines like this
Tyan.
We're soon to ship some 1U nodes with four sockets and oddles of RAM.

'Everyone' isn't buying them as we work with our customers to choose the
best solution, based on your problem. As do all the other cluster
companies on this list, to be fair. It depends if you have problems
which will work well in an eight-way SMP machine. You might be better
with a rack of four-way machines, which is the sweet spot of
price/performance at the moment.