[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 1 01:04:31 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> python's the way of the future though :)  Agreed that shell (bash) and
> make are important, and regular expressions of a (very powerful)
> necessary evil.

Not just powerful, not just evil.  Regular expressions are one of the
things that give a systems administrator that je ne sais quoi, that
special little something, that aura of invincible power.

After all, to add aligned left-padded line numbers, which one looks more
impressive?

   sed = myfile | sed 'N; s/^/     /; s/ *\(.\{6,\}\)\n/\1  /'

or

   cat -n myfile

I rest my case.

As for the python... well, I just plain like delimiters in my code.  I
might even use it if the authors of python hadn't imposed two pieces of
religion on its users:

   No line terminator (e.g. ;)
   No {} -- all code grouping MUST be accomplished by indentation.

Violators will be shot.  News at 11.

Other than that, well, sure, way of the future and all for people who;
don't code much in C and hence don't mind bashing their head against;
the keyboard a bit when their fingers add ;'s to every line all by;
themselves and;
if((strcmp(lang,"C") == 0) || strcmp(lang,"perl") == 0)){
   while(codeblocking & bracketpairs & !indentations){love_2_delimit(';');}
}

(Note the lack of any real exit on that loop...;-)

    rgb