[Beowulf] Three notes from ISC 2006

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Wed Jun 28 15:44:55 PDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Woodcrest totally destroys everything in terms of raw cpu performance.
>
> Not only it clocks nearly 25% higher. According to junior team who used
> such a system
> from HP (that's their normal sponsor) at world champs 2006 it was giving
> a 20% higher ipc for their program too.

What do you mean 'clock nearly 25% higher'.  Higher than what?  I had
the impression that the top clock rates of the Woodcrest are dropping
slightly from the Dempsey numbers.  The machines were just announced,
the team you refer to has a system already?

Can you describe what program they were running?  What is FP intensive?
Woodcrest has added an additional 128-bit SSE2 register, but no
additional memory bandwidth to support it.  Double the FP performance is
nice, but in practice I wonder if I will see even a 5% increase for my
codes.  The change is nice for linpack (doubles node performance), but
even the efficiency drops somewhat.

> That's 50% faster than 2.4Ghz dual core opteron.
>
> Only for those who need latency to the RAM above cpu performance,
> A64-single core with 16GB RAM at each node will be more interesting.
>
> That's not many applications.
>
> Of course if you buy something *today* the dual core opteron is the
> preferred node,
> as woodcrest isn't in the shop yet buyable.
>
> If your software can work with gigabit ethernet then of course the price
> per node of an A64 dual core with cheap RAM
> and a cheap mainboard could be more interesting than a faster node
> that's a little bit more expensive, using DDRII ram.
>
> So the aspect of cost could be a concern.
>
> At dual socket level however, the choice is simple. Woodcrest will
> outgun AMD in a big way.

You are comparing Intel's latest processor (which little or no real
benchmarks) to AMD's last generation processor.  The next generation AMD
will include an extra SSE2 register.  AMD still scales much better from
1 socket to 2 socket (in general of course, your benchmarks may vary)
and Intel can't touch the > 2 socket market yet.

(Not an AMD fanboy, just someone who appreciates seeing performance of
real codes than arguing performance based on architecture and
press-releases.)

Craig