[Beowulf] Building my own highend cluster

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 28 14:32:48 PDT 2006

Hi Paul,

Have a FAQ which describes how to boot nodes diskless?

I'm about to build coming months a 16 node cluster (as soon as i've got
budget
for more nodes) and the only achievement in my life so far in beowulf
area was getting a 2 node cluster to work *with* disks.

That's too expensive however and eating unnecessary power.
14 disks is $$$ but more importantly also eat effectively nearly 30 watt a
disk from the power
(maxtors are like 22 watt and that's *after* the psu lost a lot of
power!!!!).

Let's save on power therefore!

Further my experiences with NFS is that it slows down the entire network.

My basic idea is to just buy some wood, and mount 7-14 mainboards
with each a dual woodcrest 1.6ghz dual core and 512MB ram (or less
if i can get that RAM a lot cheaper), or when budget is smaller then
simply A64 with a single chip or mainboards with a single woodcrest chip (in
both
cases dual core of course).

At it, the 'master node' being a dual opteron dual core (or a 15th node
having
a bit faster woodcrest chips and quite a bit more RAM) which i plan
to connect to 2 switches which can have 8 nodes each, or if i can afford it
and
it exists a 16 node switch.

Put the wood & mainboards in in the garage then take a big fan which can use
pipe to blow out air and make some filter to allow air getting into the
garage,
this filter catching dust.

The big advantage of putting the cluster in the garage is because a big
white Canadian/American
shepherd will guard it nearly 20 hours a day there.

(Anyway any environmental norm with respect to radiation i don't need to
care about when constructing that supercomputer,
just walking the dog means in this country you break the law; and in the
meantime my government has
12 meters away from that garage 2 x 450 megawatt (MVA) powerlines,
as they don't need to fix any existing bad situations. In fact they're busy
building a new swimming pool for hundreds of kids underneath
those 2 x 450 megawatt cables right now).

So the only questions right now are:

a) which cables do i need for QM400 cards to connect?
b) which SWITCHES work for QM400 cards?
c) do QM400 cards work node <==> node without switch in between (just like
the QM500s worked here like that)
d) will they work for those woodcrest mainboards?

Of course looking for second hand cables, second hand switches?
diep at xs4all.nl to email to for those who have some left.

I've got 17 of those cards so could on paper move to 16 nodes (keeping 1
card in reserve).

SOFTWARE for the cluster:

My plan is to take a look once more again to openmosix and openssi and plan
to modify it, even if i lose a factor
2 in latency to it after modification, if that would give the possibility
for a shared memory supercomputer then that's
quite awesome and preferred. If losses under factor 2 are not possible to
latency then i'll again have to work with the
shmem library.

Programming in MPI/SHMEM is by the way pretty retarded way to program.

Shared memory programming is just *so superior* over that in terms of ease
for the programmer and it also means
you can just recompile your code to work on a quad opteron or 8 processor
opteron without any need to strip
MPI commands.

Patching openssi or openmosix is probably more interesting to do than
continueing an old MPI/SHMEM version.

Migration of shared memory by the way is not needed and not preferred for
the approach i use in Diep,
so on paper both OpenMosix and OpenSSI qualify.

If it can work then that'll be a factor 2.8 ^ 7 = 1349 times more powerful
than deep blue at least, and factor 2 more
powerful than hydra and it's very secure and fool proof, just not saucage
proof.

Hydra managed to get on CNN regurarly when playing Adams. Amazingly. We'll
hit by september probably indirectly
national TV when selling one of our products and i hope to reach some more
when this cluster works.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Vincent