[Beowulf] MPI mysql

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Fri Jun 23 07:46:49 PDT 2006

> Hello All.
>
> 	Could some make mysql run over mpich on a Beowulf cluster?

Well, for a lot of money someone could :)

Seriously, there is a cluster version of MySQL

  http://www.mysql.com/products/database/cluster/

In addition, due to nature of your configure options, you seem to be
assuming that if you compile a program with an "mpi compiler" things
automatically become parallel. Sorry, but here is the hard truth about
clusters:

 - Programs must be written to explicit use multiple
   processors or clusters nodes. There are few if any
   shortcuts. You have to look at the code and understand
   what it is trying to do.

 - MPI is a library. One way to parallelize a code is to add
   MPI calls to the code and compile with the "mpi compilers"
   (which by the way are just wrapper functions that add
    various paths and options to the underlying compiler)

 - Resources:

   Check out Robert Brown's excellent tutorial series on ClusterMonkey
   (Robert -- I just saved you a few paragraphs in your response)

    http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/category/5/14/32/

   Plus if you want to understand the issues, check out
   Parallel Programming as well:

     http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/category/5/51/32/

Hope this helps.

--
Doug

mysql> 	I have a monitoring toll that uses mysql to store host status, but
have
> more than 2000 devices to monitor and the DB burn CPU and Memory. To take
Xeon> notion of the problem, I have a dual Xeon 3.2 with 4GB of memory
going to
> 0
Becouseacess> idle on top acess. Becouse this I need to put the DB to run
over a cluster
> gaining power and scalability.
>
> I make the following configuration.
> Mysql> Mysql
mpiccbeowulfmpiuusrysql>
CCFLAGSgureusrpmpiibeowulflocal/mysqCXXC=usrrmpiibeowulff/binmpiCCc
> CXXFLAGS-I/uusrmmpibbeowulfinclude/ CXX=/uusrmmpibbeowulfbin/mmpif
> CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/mpi-beowulf/include/ F77=/usr/mpi-beowulf/bin/mpif77
> F77FLAGS=-I/usr/mpi-beowulf/include/ F90=/usr/mpi-beowulf/bin/mpif90

mpirun> When mpirun the dmysqlde returns
> 060621 22:53:56  mysqld susrted
mysmysqlbexec> 060621 22:53:56 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld:
unknown option
> '-p'
mysqld> 060621 22:53:56  mysqld ended

bpstat> The beostatusow the nodprocs> The mpismandelshow the procsbeostatusry
cpu> The mpi_mandel runs OK, and beostatus show the sharing of cpu.

bdontlf> I dont know, but I think couldntulf version is old. On the disk
show me im
> be the version 2.0 but I couldnt find the way to show the right version im
> running.
>

> Thanks in Advance.
> Felipe Duran

Doug