[Beowulf] Acceptable rad limits for cluster rooms?

Daniel Kidger daniel.kidger at clearspeed.com
Mon Jun 19 01:54:10 PDT 2006

Brian,

LANL have quite a bit of experience here. They are a high altitude site with
significant HPC systems. The high altitude has caused measurable error rates
in their computing hardware due to cosmic rays.
They have even done tests like deliberately firing neutrons at their systems.

e.g.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1545894&isnumber=3
2989

.. not sure about any issue with beta radiation and clusters - most nodes are
in metal boxes in metal racks?

Daniel

Dr. Daniel Kidger, Technical Consultant, Clearspeed plc, Bristol UK
E: dan.kidger at clearspeed.com
T: +44 117 317 2030
M: +44 7738 458742
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous.