[Beowulf] Slection from processor choices; Requesting Giudence

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Jun 18 21:53:00 PDT 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 8:00 PM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 04:27:50PM -0700, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
>> You exaggerate the limitations of GigE.  Current incarnations of GigE
>> can be close enough to Myrinet that it is perfectly functional for
>> some applications and pretty competitive for someone willing to
>> extract the capability from it.
>
> Er, that might be fair to say for applications for which Myrinet is
> overkill. But you make a much more general statement...

True enough.  What I trying to say was that it is pretty capable for
several types of work and that some of the specifics are not so far
from older Myrinet for someone that really cannot afford to drop the
cash on a better interconnect.  Even cheap GigE has gotten awfully
good now.

I only use GigE (and 10GigE) for vanilla networking bits myself --
the latency is a killer for my other apps. :-)

J. Andrew Rogers