[Beowulf] Slection from processor choices; Requesting Giudence

Thomas H Dr Pierce TPierce at rohmhaas.com
Thu Jun 15 09:41:37 PDT 2006

Dear Amjad Ali,

Here is the MRTG  I/O of a CFD code running on a parallel MPI beowulf
cluster node with Gigabit ethernet,  It ended at about 3 o'clock.
A lot of I/O chatter. This is the same on all 4 parallel nodes that were
running the CFD code. (4 nodes *5Mbs per node  = ~20Mbs bandwidth ignoring
wait times, I am still learning how to measure the latency and wait times
while a job runs.).

Ganglia Memory usage is 2Gb per node and  2 processors per node.

Looks like you could get by with 1GB of memory.

------
Sincerely,

   Tom Pierce

"amjad ali" <amjad11 at gmail.com>
Sent by: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org
06/15/2006 04:02 AM

beowulf at beowulf.org
cc

Subject
[Beowulf] Slection from processor choices; Requesting Giudence

Hi ALL
We are going to build a true Beowulf cluster for Numerical Simulation of
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) models at our university. My question
is that what is the best choice for us out of the following choices about
processors for a given fixed/specific amount/budget:
1.      One processor at each of the compute nodes
2.      Two processors (on one mother board) at each of the compute nodes
3.      Two Processors (each one dual-core processor) (total 4 cores on
the board) at each compute nodes.
4.      four processor (on one mother board) at each of the compute nodes.

Initially, we are deciding to use Gigabit ehternet switch and 1GB of RAM
at each node.
Please guide me that how much parallel programming will differ for the
above four choices of processing nodes.
with best regards: