[Beowulf] g03 and centos 3.6

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Fri Jun 16 15:42:09 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:09:10AM +0200, Leif Nixon wrote:

> You are lucky then. Gaussian is a horrible mess, and the build system
> is broken beyond belief.

Well, this may sound terribly naive (and indeed I have no familiarity
with Gaussian at all, nor even any idea how many lines of code are in
it) but why don't they just fix it?  I mean, how hard could fixing the
build system possibly be?  If it was really truly horribly broken,
maybe a year of a top-notch hacker's time?

I don't know what their annual revenues from that software are, but if
they're large and ongoing, I'd think that sort of dollar investment in
maintenace would be a no brainer.  Heck, the codebase is their meal
ticket.  If they have such trouble just getting it to run at all on
slight variations of the same old x86 machines, they are going to end
up SOL one day.  Maybe "destroying your own intellectual property"
would be the appropriate scare words in business-speak.

> Not to mention the vendor's totally-out-of-contact-with-reality
> attitude "Oh, have you installed security patches for your OS? Then
> you don't have a supported configuration. Sorry, goodbye."

Hm, sounds like a business opportunity there.  Surely the Gaussian
software must have competitors?

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/