[Beowulf] Slection from processor choices; Requesting Giudence

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Thu Jun 15 06:07:00 PDT 2006

In message from "amjad ali" <amjad11 at gmail.com> (Thu, 15 Jun 2006
04:02:12 -0400):
>Hi ALL
>
>We are going to build a true Beowulf cluster for Numerical Simulation
>of
>Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) models at our university. My
>question is
>that what is the best choice for us out of the following choices
>about
>processors for a given fixed/specific amount/budget:
>
>   1.
>
>   One processor at each of the compute nodes
>   2.
>
>   Two processors (on one mother board) at each of the compute nodes
>   3.
>
>   Two Processors (each one dual-core processor) (total 4 cores on
>the
>   board) at each compute nodes.
>   4.
>
>   four processor (on one mother board) at each of the compute nodes.
>

> Initially, we are deciding to use Gigabit ehternet switch and 1GB of
>RAM at
>each node.

I've heard many times that memory throughput is extremally important
in CFD and that using of 1 cpu/1 core per node (or 2 single cores
Opteron having independed memory channels) is in some cases better
than any sharing of memory bus(es).

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow