[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Wed Jun 14 09:50:54 PDT 2006

Vincent:

The HPC market is a far cry from the game console market. Having served
my time in both publishing and Marketing (in past lives) I can
understand your point.

But, I don't believe that the point is completely relevant. For example,
even if Sun offered me their e2900 for the same price as a quad dualcore
opteron, it wouldn't make sense for my cluster implementation. Though
its certainly a better machine for certain applications (for example
assembling a genome of multiple chromosones each wth 250k 1 kilobase
sequences), it wouldn't be as good at Gaussian, or Gamess, or vasp, or
Monte Carlo.

I own e2900's and I own opteron, OS X, and Xeon clusters. They each have
their strengths and weaknesses. Apples may be easier to set up for
life-sciences, but they are a bear for vasp. The xeons tend to be 2/3
the speed of the opteron even though they run at faster clock speeds.
The e2900's are stuffed with 64 and 96GB of ram, making them great for
apps that can't be efficiently broken down to run on the 2-8GB of RAM
available per cluster node.

Finally, while marketing does play a role, we have seen a major surge in
cluster useage without a huge marketing arm being involved. We buy
clusters to solve problems. If I thought that a Windows cluster was the
way to solve a given problem I would consider it. However after being in
computing for 20 years, I know that the key to marketing lies in what is
left unsaid. MS will not talk about patch Tuesday in their marketing.
Somehow the idea of losing 24-36 hours on a cluster because of a bad
patch strikes me as a dangerous and expensive proposition. 4800 to 7200
processor hours is ALOT of work.

Mike Davis