[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Thomas H Dr Pierce TPierce at rohmhaas.com
Tue Jun 13 07:48:57 PDT 2006

Folks,

We are all sooooo technical!

It does not work that way....

Microsoft HPC will work IF the market wants the technology that they can
supply.  The answer is in market segments. And the Supercomputer market
segment has been the science and engineering users of the last 30 years.
It has not changed its market much. As technology got complex, the
simulation market has grown some, but not to the extent of the word
processing or spreadsheet market place or the home web access or gaming
markets have grown over the same time period.

The Linux HPC market is on the market demand track from  CDC -> Cray ->
Vax -> Unix Workstation -> Linux . It has grown modestly, but not
enormously. Dual CPUs have a bigger growth market and potentially the
Microsoft HPC could help develop 4-way and 8-way processors as standard
systems.

Technical issues will not  maintain the market  for cluster computing. Nor
will technical best-of-breed win over uninterested markets.  The past is
full of superior technical solutions losing to market accessible
good-enough solutions ( eg betamax vs VHS and token ring vs Ethernet ..
and the beat goes on...)

To paraphrase, I know (some) Linux, Linux is a "friend" of mine, Windows
is "No Linux" - but I doubt I am the market segment that Windows is "good
enough"  for.

So please desist discussing technical superiority. Technical issues are
not the key issue in market segment growth of HPCs.  So lets see who wants
CPU power with windows  integration and discover how big that market is.
------
Sincerely,

   Tom Pierce
    Bldg 7/ Rm 207D - Spring House, PA