[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jun 13 18:21:55 PDT 2006

> The high-speed interconnects plug into our MPI stack through Winsock
> Direct. This enables low-latency usermode I/O at the sockets level. Any

how low-latency?  anyone who cares about latency needs to know the numbers,
and especially versus linux on the same hardware.

> application that uses sockets will benefit from the high speed
> interconnect without relinking or recompiling.

is this trivial (to a *ix person) or am I missing the point?
most interconnects provide IP emulation and thus by definition
work as you describe, no?  even the converse (use various interconnects
without recompiling/linking) is also done pretty commonly.