[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

matt jones jamesjamiejones at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 04:09:58 PDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

 > In fact i'm not amazed if you soon call every windows machine a server,
 > because it runs 'services' that are clear server services.

this is very true of most machienes i use (within windows networking).
they all run file sharing, as part of windows, which means they are
servers by definition.

but if you categorise into intended purpose like:

PCs,
workstations,
thin clients,
servers,
nodes,

it is not a server because thats not it's purpose as a whole. it is a
PC, and part of it being my PC is that it has to be able to share my
files so i can get them elsewhere.

so yea it is a server, some of the time, but most windows (mainstreem
9x, and nt, which XP is part of) are not used for this purpose of being
a server at all, they are mainly desktop PCs.

likewise linux, unix, and any other OS can be called any of the above.
it depends on how you use it.

--
matt jones,

this e-mail has been virus scanned,
sent from a workstation called: matts, IP address: 10.64.63.17, Subnet
Mask: 255.255.192.1