[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 12 09:57:49 PDT 2006

At 06:51 AM 6/12/2006, Ashley Pittman wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 00:02 -0400, Joe Landman wrote:
>
> > What Microsoft will do is to take away as much of this as they can.  I
> > haven't seen it yet, but I believe they will offer MPICH as a DLL, so if
> > PathScale wants to work along side some other device, you can select
> > this at runtime, and just have it work.  This is a nice idea.
>
>Perhaps I've missed something here, what do windows DLLs provide that a
>linux .so doesn't?

Conceptually, they're both loadable libraries.  It's just one way of
implementing a "run time" loadable component within the Windows way. There
are other ways of doing this within the windows world (ActiveX components
would be one).  There are also loadable device drivers in the Windows
world, too.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075