[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 12 09:43:15 PDT 2006

We will confront you with your statement in a few years from now.

If microsoft doesn't price their server/cluster stuff too expensive then in
X years from
now they'll dominate the highend market. Microsoft always has just taken
markets by
storming in giving away copies of their software for near free initially.

Competition is hardly possible against that from software viewpoint.

>From my multiprocessor product i'm not releasing a linux multiprocessor
version, to
give 1 obvious example.

Porting the GUI to linux is simply too much work, even though we are open-gl
at the
moment and porting should be theoretically possible with just X weeks work.

Microsoft dominates because all GUI's are running under windows in a way
that users can work with it.

That said, their huge advantage is dissappearing a bit, as lately i'm under
the impression they
no longer have the best programmers onboard now that their stock/shares
don't yearly double.

>From roughly 28$ to about 22$ right now.
So earning yourself some options to buy microsoft shares will probably not
be so popular
among microsoft employees unlike the past.

Some things of them are becoming real nerd products, such as their server
edition 2003
is an impossibility to be used by normal users.

Basically i see a few big issues that are all USB related that can
crash/lock up windows
completely, apart from that their reliability has been greatly improved. It
can run without
crashing for a few weeks now.

So if they put out a 'cluster product' now, you can laugh, but basically it
means money for companies
who produce software to run under that OS, so they WILL produce software for
the cluster expert edition,
as microsoft WILL sell ten+  million of copies of their server editions.

Vincent