[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jun 12 08:26:48 PDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Take one of those nice looking Rocketcalc deskside cluster boxes or something
> like that Tyan cluster chassis that was discussed on the list last week,
> slap MS Cluster Server on it and pair it with a nicely supported (by the
> instrument maker or some third party) software stack that supports and drives
> the exotic lab instrument and (I think) people will buy them.

Yeah, I didn't even think of this smaller level, but you're absolutely
right and this has just the right price structure.  I was thinking more
bioinformatics (which is shrink-wrappable, hence Apple's interest in it
to support hardware sales), but high end visualization software for e.g.
real-time scanners of a variety of sorts in hospitals is close to your
model.  In any event, deep pocketed clients with no interest in or
ability to develop software or mess with administration, configuration,
networking, high margins available to niche marketers.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu