[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Jun 12 05:30:49 PDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Not that i'm a big m$ fan in this, but your conclusion that:
>  a) highend is easy to use
>  b) highend is very cheap

No.  Not my conclusion, I have no idea where you pulled this from.

[...]

> Linux is NOT easy to use.

So if you hide the complexity of the CLI, hand them a web page to run
their stuff and a big windows disk to browse, is this easier?  The
already know how to run a web browser (well, most people do), and look
through explorer on their disk.

> Now let's move to price.

[...]

> The price goes down dramatically in short when the quantity goes up.

Uh... not even on the same topic.  Amazing.

[...]

> Highend when scaling up is NOT getting cheaper a unit any soon.

uh huh.  I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

[...]

> How about a cluster now?

I wonder if I should point out that it is exactly the same hardware in
both cases.

[...]

> Now about your misplaced 'market growth' terminology. That's not exactly
> a good way to put it.

[RPC: replying before coffee is generally considered bad for one's karma.]

<RPC mode=on>

Misplaced market growth?  Dude, look up the report yourself, IDC
publishes it, and *everyone* interested in this market has been reading
it and quoting from it.  Including Microsoft.  Though in their case,
they have been selectively quoting, and IMO missing some of the real data.

</RPC>

> So against that a 20% growth claim honestely isn't impressing me much.

Uh huh.  Vincent, you are not my target audience here.

> In fact i'm not amazed if you soon call every windows machine a server,
> because it runs 'services' that are clear server services.

[...]

http://www.physics.utah.edu/~mohit/mistake.jpg

Something like this may be the case here Vincent.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615