[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Jun 11 23:17:42 PDT 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 15:39, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> FWIW there is a de-facto ABI with MPICH when using shared libraries,
> we have used this trick to run all sorts of ISV codes with our
> interconnect.

My guess is that it is the ISV's that MS are going to target:

"Why bother building and supporting all those bizzare Linux boxes and odd
interconnects when you could just target our OS and MPI ABI and the world
will be the mollusc of your choice!  You would only need to have enough
people to support one OS, imagine all the money you could save from
downsizing.."

Cue dollar signs rolling in CEO's eyes..

If they can persuade a couple of large ISV's to go 'doze only..

This situation is already happening, I know one location where they are having
to purchase a dual-boot cluster because (at least) one of the codes they need
to run is Windows only..

Chris