[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Jun 11 21:59:48 PDT 2006

Joe, et al,

Unfortunately, we find, time and time again, when Microsoft comes in to
tell us how good they're gonna do something, there's a catch.

Here, it remains simple to me: I can tweak the OS if I need to, and I
can tweak the apps.  With a Windows solution fo rmy cluster environment,
I certainly can't tweak the OS.  I'm half-way to dead in the water.

In general, we integrate our own hardware.  If I found the API was too
complex, I'd complain mightily, but actually, I tend to pick hardware I
can already talk to, and API's I'm already familiar with to program to.
  At this point, Microsoft is claimint to save me from myself.  Hmmm.
I'm reminded of the time IBM decided... and advertised... their intent
to "legitimize" the minicomputer industry.  If I recall correctly, the
Data General ad in response included the comment, "The bastards say,
'Welcome'."  That's sort of what I feel here.

I'm reminded that Microsoft made attempts to wander into this community
several years ago.  I further recall being simply told that there was no
direction for Linux, no core of paid developers, and that the HPC work I
was doing couldn't expect to continue using that paradigm. Simply, I
should migrate my applications to Windows (NT4, at that time) and wait
for  the Microsoft HPC tool.

I'm not sure I'm ready for Microsoft to define my timeline and my code
requirements.

I'll stand by my position.  The bulk of the Microsoft announcement is
marketing, and demonstrates a less than stellar acknowledgment of the
HPC environment they're trying to break into.  If y'all think your
corporate wagon's hitched to their star, that's great.  I'll watch and
learn.  I'm not completely wedded to Linux, but I'mnot likely to change
until it does something similar to a series of data losses eventually
identified as registry corruption which encouraged me to make the swap
to Linux.  As long as the problems I have continue to be hardware
related (think, statistical failure rates) and not OS definable, I doubt
I'll seriously investigate them.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983