[Beowulf] Clusters and Distro Lifespans

matt jones jamesjamiejones at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 13:58:35 PDT 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:

 > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Jim Lux wrote:
 >
 > > And, what I'd really, really like is a small standalone server
 > (headless)
 > > that is like a pocket sized network attached disk storage.  Like those
 > > portable drives with a Firewire or USB interface, except with an RJ45
 > > Ethernet jack. If it could run things like DHCP, tftpserver, etc.,
 > all the
 > > better.
 >
 > I think that you can come really close to this now with OTS components.
 > I have a lovely little 80 GB USB/FW drive (about the size of a
 > paperback).  Pair this with one of the ultra-small-footprint systems out
 > there (maybe micro-ATX?).  That gives you a system maybe 10"x10"x3".  Or
 > see if you can get a USB equipped PDA or Zaurus or something (although
 > getting all the software you want running in their available memory
 > might be a problem).  You might be able to get a Zaurus connected to a
 > small USB bridge, and hang a paperback drive and a network interface on
 > it in something like 4"x6"x4", including a little mini keyboard and VGA
 > display... would that work?
 >
 > Mind you, the network performance would probably suck in anything with
 > less than a 10x10 base -- a bit less than laptop sized -- but that's
 > really pretty small.  The paperback hard drives suck power from the USB
 > port, BTW, which might stress the USB power capacity of even a plugged
 > in PDA.  Something else to think about.

forget going ATX, you could if you can get hold of one go ITX which is a
ultra small form factor of 12cm square... stick that with one or two
2.5" HDD's in a 5.25" drive bay, and you've got what you need. if you
can get hold of these ITX boards you can run w.e. software you like on
them as they have 10/100 base networking, and you could probably get
gagabit aswell.

i would say that you dont need to have these as speced up as normal
nodes, if their only file serving then a GHz processor with 256/512 RAM
could be more than enough.

you could use a PDA but they are often not well enough designed to host
server type aplications.

--
matt