[Beowulf] Clusters and Distro Lifespans

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jul 19 08:20:36 PDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 at 10:51am, hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca wrote

> I think it's more a matter of taste/comfort.  I hate running a kernel
> that's more than 6 months old, since I'm often aware of problems fixed
> during that time, etc.  if your distro has only a 2.4 kernel, for instance,
> IMO, you are losing quite a lot.  if your distro has a 2.6.9 kernel,
> you're still missing, for instance, sata smart support.

Note that with some distros, the base kernel version has less meaning than
you think as it's so heavily patched.  RHEL4 has, yes, a kernel labeled
2.6.9.  But, to counter your example, it also (as of U2 (or was it U3?))
supports SATA SMART.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering