[Beowulf] FreeBSD 6.1 and single system image

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jul 14 23:18:09 PDT 2006

Glen Gardner wrote:

>I've recently installed FreeBSD 6.1 on a 12 node diskless cluster.
>
>I've got a couple of observations to share for those who might be
>interested...
>

>The remarkable thing I notice about the FreeBSD setup is that with all
>nodes booting the same image (including the head node), system
>maintenance is really simple. It also makes me think that a single
>system image using freeware operating systems is a worthy and practical
>goal with FreeBSD, but that Fedora Core is not even close to being an
>out of the

I agree re. the single system image. Our clusters work that way, and you
have the choice of running in a ramdisk mode
as you have done, or using the local disk for tmp/swap, or a
conventional hard drive install.

Fedora isn't the only kid on the block, and given the short support
lifetime I would recommend against using it in a cluster.
Fedora is clearly aimed and billed as a cutting edge distro, which will
have a release every six months.
Most of our clusters have SuSE linux installed, which runs very well on
Opteron/EMT64.
Our commercial customers tend to go for Redhat Enterprise or SuSE SLES,
for compatibility and support of ISV codes.