[Beowulf] power supply/chassis for Opteron-based node

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 12 11:29:28 PDT 2006

Mikhail, not so much the wattage that the power supply claims it has in
total is what you're interested in,
as well as the wattage that it delivers effectively over the rails in use
(+12V,+5V etc).

It's here where the manufacturer of the mainboard will typically specify
what is needed for their mainboard.

I'm using myself a 680W thermaltake power supply.

In your case probably the question will be whether you will upgrade one day
to dual core opterons.
Those are like 110 watt a chip right now, add whatever else you've got in
the machine and 20% loss to it.

I'm guessing that i'm using effectively 480 watt nonstop here with i/o
working hard.

Not sure what that mellanox card is eating, but it probably won't be little,
and it'll never idle.

500 watt sounds like some sort of minimum that you need from a decent power
supply, not a $20 one.