[Beowulf] power supply/chassis for Opteron-based node

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Wed Jul 12 08:19:19 PDT 2006

I looked to reccomendation of power supply/rackmount chassis for
Supermicro and Tyan dual Opteron motherboards based on nVidia Prof.
2200/2050 chipsets (for example, Supermicro H8DCE-B). The recommended
power for power supply is about 650 W (or higher), what looks as too
high for our conditions.

We will use 2 or 4 GB DDR333, 2*Opteron 248, 1 x HDD 10000 RPM, 1 x
Infiniband DDR (Mellanox) HCA per node (plus minimal PCI graphic card,
&CDROM). Currently (w/AMD chipset, for 2 x Opteron 244) we work
w/cheap Chenbro chassis (4U) having only 420 W power supply.

I understand that it's possible to calculate relative exactly the
power requirements (ampers for each voltage levels), from TDP etc,
but:

what is typical power of power supply used "here" - by beowulf
community members - for close configuration of nodes (not 1U)?
BTW, what is good cheap chassis alternative for Chenbro - AIC/T-Win ?
what else ?

Yours
Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry