[Beowulf] how fast can NFS run?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 31 22:35:34 PST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Bruce Allen wrote:

>I'd like to know the fastest that anyone has seen an NFS server run, over
>either a 10Gb/s ethernet link or a handful of link aggregated
>(channel-bonded) Gb/s ethernet lines.

The netapp r200 we have serving user data pushes a peak of around 150MB/s,
it has periods where the ten minute average will approach 100MB/s.  Qith a
similar sized r200 and a smaller number of clients in the POC lab at
netapp while evaling the hardware we got the thing to deliver order of
220MB/s. This is 56 x 300GB drives. certainly they sell bigger faster
filers than the ones we presently have.

>This would be with a small number of clients making large file sequential
>reads from the same NFS host/server.  Please assume that the NFS server
>has 'infinitely fast' disks.

Disks aren't infinitely fast and do play a substantial part in the whole
problem space, frankly if replacing them with silicon was cost
effective I would, as it is we use bigger slower disks for almost all
of our file server applications, just because we need the capacity/cost
equation to balance out...

There are a lot of impediments to decent nfs performance, if you have an
issue you get to play hunt the bottleneck, test, tune and repeat.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu