[Beowulf] about clusters in high schools

H.Vidal, Jr. hvidal at tesseract-tech.com
Mon Jan 30 14:57:35 PST 2006

Karl Podesta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like a place most tech people wouldn't have minded attending :-)

Yes, I really wish I had this kind of high school when I was a kid.

> It also sounds like they would have staff capable of coping with a HPC
> system, which is important - although students could get involved in
> setup & maintenance, it would still take up time, and you have to ask
> yourself whether this time tradeoff is worth it for both staff & students.

Indeed, the first reaction from faculty was "we don't know about this,
but we agree it's important, somebody has to show us how......"

> Time might be better spent on foundations (such as ordinary coding of
> scientific phenomena on single computers), so that students have a good
> grounding to appreciate HPC when they come to deal with scientific problems
> that demand that power... ?

An excellent point. As I have always said, there is no point in owning a
fancy
calculator with lots of fancy functions unless you know enough math
and classes of problems to make use of such tools.

Nevertheless, one of the issues you find in this kind of school as that
so much
computer-related tech is conveyed in the abstract, with little application.
'Here are the kinds of problems you will see someday' when the kids are
really already on track to tackle at least some of these problems.

So the sexiness factor comes into play. If you get kids interested in HPC
as a hands-on discipline, when they are already exposed to these kinds of
problems, connections will be made in their heads and, with proper guidance,
they will have the kinds of 'aha' moments that will inspire future leaders
in the discipline. Or so goes the theory.

hv