[Beowulf] Supermicro H8SSL-R10 versus H8SSL-i motherboards, Broadcom SATA chips

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Tue Jan 10 08:33:58 PST 2006

Supermicro makes a couple of single processor dual core Opteron
motherboards based on the Serverworks/Broadcom HT1000 chipset:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT1000/H8SSL-i.cfm
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT1000/H8SSL-R10.cfm

As far as I can tell, the ONLY difference between these motherboards is
that the H8SSL-i does not support the Broadcom Xelcore Raid 0/1.  The
second system supports RAID 0/1.  But I'm not quite sure what this
actually means!

If we run the Linux command 'lspci' on a H8SSL-i, it reports the following
SATA chip:
   01:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Broadcom (formerly ServerWorks): Unknown
   device 024a.
The Linux PCI database describes this as a "BCM5785 (HT1000) SATA Native
SATA Mode."

Has anyone on the list seen or used a Supermicro H8SSL-R10 motherboard?
I have been unable to get one. If you have access to it, could you please
run 'lspci' on it.  Does it report Broadcom device 0241 (RAIDCore RC4000)?

My impression is that on the systems we are building (which will at most
have two drives) we can use standard Linux software RAID to mirror the two
drives with the BCM5785, so we don't need the RAIDCore RC4000 support.
Does anyone konw what advantages (if any) that might offer?

Cheers,
 	Bruce