[Beowulf] Naming Convention Survey

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:50:59 PST 2006

1) /home

Globally available, backed up, quotas imposed, moderate bandwidth
(~400MB/s) and good meta data performance, accounted for based on user

2) /short

Globally available, not backed up, soft quotas allow us to disable
access to the queue - no hard quotas, high bandwidth (>2GB/s), short
lived files (if a file isn't access for 3 weeks, we delete it),
accounted for based on project

3) /jobfs

Locally attached, managed (user allocated space created at the start
of their job and cleaned up at the end of their job), not backed up,
moderate-high bandwidth (400MB/s-800MB/s) but extremely high meta
data performance, accounted for based on job

On 10/01/2006, at 3:28, Brian D. Ropers-Huilman wrote:

> Simple question, likely a complicated answer. Cluster systems
> should have up
> to three distinct file systems:
> 1) a place to compile and keep "stuff"
> 2) a bit of disk to use while code is running
> 3) potential a bit of disk with special characteristics, likely
> high-performance
> Typically #1 would be called /home. Here at LSU, #2 is typically
> called
> /var/scratch or /var/local/scratch. Then there is #3. Sometimes we
> call this
> /scratch and sometimes /work.
> My question: what do other folks call these bits of disk?

Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com