[Beowulf] A Mosix Cluster or Beowulf

Pere Urbón Bayes purbon at deic.uab.es
Thu Feb 23 03:17:54 PST 2006

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>Hello to everybody, I have on mind to build an open mosix cluster with a
>>2 UCP from AMD (DualCore) machines.
>

> why openmosix (rather than, say, beowulf)?

Sorry! When I mean openmosix i was speaking about to implement a mosix
cluster, and with beowulf a not mosix cluster ( like with MPI, etc... ).
The better subject could be: Mosix Cluster VS MPI (etc, ... ) Clusters..

>>Who's better, AMD or Intel dual-core ucp?.
>

> it's largely a matter of taste, though there are some less
> critical differences that matter more to some people.

But I think that AMD Opteron Dual-Core have independent data buses for
the diferents cores, isn't it?

 >>How about the temperature?
>

> Intel, in general, dissipates more for a comparable machine than AMD.
> this is modulated somewhat depending on power-saving features,
> but those depend on the machine being idle (which, presumably,
> anyone in HPC wants to avoid...)

This is what I thought, but the performace of AMD Dual-Core will be
better than the intel.

>>Which do you prefer? How about the performance on a mosix cluster?
>

> as far as I know, Mosix is still most relevant for non-IO/IPC-intensive
> serial (maybe threaded) jobs.

This is what i need and for this i think that finally i will use an
openmosix.

 is there an MPI implementation that behaves
> well on Mosix?  it would be sort of interesting to see how a sysv-shm
> MPI behaved on Mosix (since it provides some aspect of network-shared mem).
> that would seem a more promising direction than trying to make socket-based
> MPI migratable...
>
> but I have no direct experience with Mosix.

Regards

--
|Pere Urbón Bayes      JabberID: purbon at jabber.org             |o_o |