[Beowulf] 32/64 bit

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Feb 1 14:58:59 PST 2006

Hi,

Am 27.01.2006 um 22:43 schrieb Warren Turkal:
> Does SGE make is possible to partition off the cluster into nodes
> that are
> capable of 32/64 bit and nodes that are only capable of 32 bit? I
> would like
> to have 32 bit apps run on all nodes and 64 bit apps only run on
> the 64-bit
> capable nodes.

sure, and there is more than one way to do it:

- request "qsub -l arch=lx24-amd64 ..." so it will run only on these
machine (like shown in "qhost")

- you could create a hostgroup for each type of nodes and submit
"qsub -q *@@the64machines ..."

- attach a BOOL complex only to the 64 bit machines and request this
in qsub

- attach a BOOL complex only to the 64 bit queue-instances and
request this in qsub

BTW: if you have the same application in 32 and 64 bit, and you don't
care about whether it's running on 32 or 64 bit, but if running on 64
bit it should use the 64 bit binaries, you could use a folder
structure of:

/opt/programs/lx24-x86/myprogram
/opt/programs/lx24-amd64/myprogram

(if it's NFS mounted) and in the job script run the program:

#!/bin/sh
/opt/programs/$ARC/myprogram

so you will get always the best binaries.

HTH - Reuti