[Beowulf] Re: Selling computation time

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Dec 28 14:17:29 PST 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 07:36, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> It is a reasonable assumption that Sun did their homework. I wonder who
> they are targeting.

Sun's grid: lights on, no customers   (October 2005)

14 months of utility computing vision

Many of you will remember the fanfare and bravado surrounding Sun
Microsystems' Sep. 2004 announcement of a $1 per hour per processor utility
computing plan. What you won't remember is Sun revealing a single customer
using the service. That's because it hasn't.
"It has been harder than we anticipated," said Aisling MacRunnels, Sun's
senior director of utility computing in an interview. "It has been really
hard. All of this has been a massive learning experience for us a company. I
am not embarrassed to say this because we have been on the leading edge."

No idea if things have changed in the 14 months since that was written!