[Beowulf] SATA II - PXE+NFS - diskless compute nodes

Eric Shook eric-shook at uiowa.edu
Tue Dec 12 09:27:06 PST 2006

Michael,

This should be sufficient enough to run our software stack as they are
tested on rhel 4 variants.  I will most definitely look closer at scyld
CW4 to see if it fits our needs.

What does reimplementing pxe boot mean specifically?

Thanks,
Eric

Michael Will wrote:
> Scyld CW4 is based on RHEL4 and also supported on Centos 4. That does
> not give you different
> operating systems though, just flexible deployment of RHEL4 based HPC
> compute nodes.
>
> Note that we had to reimplement the PXE boot part to allow reasonable
> scaling.
>
> Michael

Eric Shook (319) 335-6714
Technical Lead, Systems and Operations - GROW
http://grow.uiowa.edu