[Beowulf] While the knives are out... Wulf Keepers

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Aug 28 04:29:25 PDT 2006

Mike Davis wrote:
> In those famous words from "Cool Hand Luke," "What we have here is a
> failure to communicate." For my role in that failure I apologize.

Hello, Mike.

Sorry for the delay in my reply: Our external spam filter blocked your
message, and I've only just read it. To cut a long story short, I accept
that you were not calling people like me naive or stupid. However, a lot
of people reading this list build and manage their own small clusters.

I think it's important for everyone to remember that the fundamental
idea of a Beowulf is that it is scalable to the size of the problem you
want to solve. To me it also represents the democratisation of HPC in
much the same way that PC's democratised access to computing generally.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687