[Beowulf] SPEC CPU 2006 released

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 25 18:27:49 PDT 2006

The programs inside spec are open source.

For example 458.sjeng is the free sjeng 11.2 version,
which we gave a 150MB hashtable and fixed a few old bugs which the
compiler guys noticed past years when testrunning specint2006.

Lucky there were more bugs in compilers than in the code to be fixed.

It's simply nearly impossible to license for example my diep's source code
spec. Not because i would mind those compiler guys have my diep's source
code,
as it will only have a positive effect that their compiler gets fast for my
code.

But competitors will be able to simply buy a cheap spec license and see my
source code.

As a result only non-commercial code will show up in spec.

That's the only disadvantage of spec, and it is a non-solvable problem in
gametree search.

So apart from this single problem, and the 2 year unnecessary delay to
create the testsuite,
what they do is pretty good idea in terms of benchmarking.

Someone without ties to a company must make a benchmark for systems, and
let's face it.
95% of all persons on this list are totally subjective, some because they
are paid by some company
and therefore will only see that company or one of its business partners as
best, and again
others are still believing too much in the past where the hardware field
advances quickly.

So someone must do objective testing with software of what is faster.

Then you get a compiler problem. So you need source code.

In all that spec is doing a reasonable good job compared to others.

Find me 1 site that 'tests' hardware that's objective. Spec is the best
compromise.

Vincent