[Beowulf] Java vs C++ for interfacing to parallel library

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Aug 22 11:21:26 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 00:59 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Perhaps in another decade they'll actually meet somewhere, have a
> drink together, and in a night of illicit love spawn a new language
> called Cortran, or perhaps fortraC, that groks both printf and
> hollerith, that has a binary exponentiation operator (the one feature
> of Fortran that I miss, actually:-), that can both do strongly typed
> arrays -- with arbitrary index offsets -- but can also manage structs
> and pointers.  Talk about inheritance -- or the need for those
> compilers to use protection, no matter how close they may get...;-)

OK, thats amusing.  :-)

But seriously, I've read of efforts to standardize (within the official
ISO documents) the linking conventions so that its easier to call C
routines from Fortran and vice versa.  Unfortunately, these proposals
were rejected during the last couple of Fortran standards updates.  For
shame...

Ed

ps - Semi-relevant link for the day:

     http://www.fortranstatement.com/cgi-bin/petition.pl

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464