[Beowulf] [OT] HPC and University IT - forum/mailing list?

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Tue Aug 15 12:39:36 PDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Brian Dobbins wrote:

> Echoing Mark's reply, it seems to me that a lot of the volume IS from
> people who are in an academic environment and wrestle with the issues
> therein. My two cents would be that I think the wide variety of
> experience and ideas here only helps when it comes to getting good
> pointers or solutions to a problem plaguing one of us in a University
> setting.

Absolutely - there is a huge portion of this list that comes from an
academic IT background.  That's why I figured this was a good place
to make some initial inquiries. :)

>   Are there problems so specific to the higher education realm
> that you think they'd benefit from their own forum?

Not so much that would benefit from their own forum, but there are a
lot of issues that are not directly related to the construction and
technical operation of clusters, but rather more administrative/
organizational in nature.

Things like:

- integration of a cluster into a larger University IT infrastructure
(storage, authentication, policies, et. al.)
- funding models (central funds, grant based) both for equipment and
- centralized research IT versus local departmental/school support.
- education and training
- deployment issues (who pays F&M?)
- sustainability and growth

Some of these topics have content that would be appropriate for this
list, some not-so-much.  There are also some people I know that would
be interested in participating in the conversation, but not about
general Beowulfery.

> So if it were a democratic process, I'd vote to keep it here, but if a
> new list/site is created, I'll go wherever the information is.

I just wanted to try and avoid throwing a lot of off-topic posts onto
this list.

> (How
> many subscribers are on this list now anyways?  The www.beowulf.org
> website says, "Over 3,000 researchers, engineers, students, and
> software
> developers have participated in these online discussions since 1996."
> but it doesn't say how many are subscribed now.)

That would be an interesting number to know.

Thanks for the feedback,

Bill Rankin, Ph.D.
Director, Cluster and Grid Technology Group
Center for Computational Science, Engineering and Medicine
Duke University

wrankin at duke.edu
ph: (919) 660-6561
fx: (919) 660-7070