[Beowulf] Woodcrest Memory bandwidth

Kozin, I (Igor) i.kozin at dl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 09:31:11 PDT 2006

Oops. I misinterpreted what Keith was saying.
I thought he was trying to justify the "one third" empirical
rule by referring that every read needs to check against
the other socket thus effectively reducing the bandwidth by 3.
It's obvious that the "three quarters" rule which worked perfectly
for Opteron and Itanium does not apply to Woodcrest.
Mind you, it did not work too well for Pentium either.
It's bizarre but if you triple every read then
3/(3+3+3+1) is approx 1/3.