[Beowulf] File server dual opteron suggestions?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Aug 3 17:38:59 PDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 at 4:44pm, David Mathog wrote

> There are 12 dual opteron server class motherboards just on Tyan's
> site, not counting minor variants, plus some from SuperMicro, Sun,
> and etc.  Half a dozen chipsets are used on these boards.  Too
> much choice and very little time  - I have to buy something early
> next week and just started looking today.  So please pipe up if you
> have a dual opteron motherboard and/or server that you're happy
> with and that has been reliable as a file server/head node.

To get vendor specific, I've got one of these (soon to be more) that I'm
quite happy with and the vendor has always been *really* good to me:

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i3948/2u-opteron-server.php

It's got about everything you wanted, although only 1 serial port.  It's a
Supermicro based system -- the H8DA8.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering