[Beowulf] Opteron cooling specifications?

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 30 02:35:26 PDT 2006

On Sunday 30 April 2006 00:12, John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:08 -0700, David Kewley wrote:
> > What does it mean to say that 32 is "standard"?  Why shouldn't 40 be
> > standard, other than perhaps 32 is more typically done?
>
> Surely related to the maximum amperage you supply to the rack?
> With dual cores and now quad socket systems current draws per node are
> going up. In European installs, I see 2 times 32 Amp feeds per rack
> being normal.

But there's not a "standard" maximum amperage you can supply to a rack.  As
long as you have the power available, and have the means to remove the
heat, you can do what you want.  We're an example, and I would be
astonished if we're the only example.  If we are, it seems to me something
is wrong with "standard" ways of thinking.

My point is, the word "standard" tends to suggest that doing anything else
is to be discouraged, out of the ordinary, etc.  I see *no* reason that 32
nodes should be considered "standard".  If you can only supply 20 A to a
rack, *your* standard will be just a few nodes per rack.  If you can supply
100 A to a rack, *your* standard will be much higher.  So there is no
"standard" that applies to all sites.

No?

David