[Beowulf] A question on PBS

Shahriar Sharghi shahriar222 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 09:14:06 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

Anyone can help with the following;
How can a PBS script be written that utalize different number CPUs in
different nodes. The goal of it is to make a head node as part of
computational node for one of the small cluster I am dealing with.
That would be 4 dual-core-dual-processor-node cluster and I want to
devote one of the processors in the head node for computations.

The following leads to the problem that PBS gives the error:
"qsub: Job exceeds queue resource limits". Any idea?

#!/bin/sh
#PBS -N my_job
#PBS -o my_stdout1.txt
#PBS -e my_stderr1.txt
#PBS -q workq
#PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=4
#PBS -l ncpus=14
#PBS -l cput=0:04:00

echo Launchnode is `hostname`
mpirun -machinefile $HOME/machines.LINUX -np 14 /home/shahriar/examples/cpi

# All done