[Beowulf] Re: multiport RS232 to ethernet (or USB)

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Thu Apr 6 14:22:31 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:00 PM, beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

> And, I suppose one could gang up a raft of $9 USB/Serial dongles on
> a USB hub (somehow, I suspect that this is fraught with peril)
>
> The device has to allow independent control of RTS and reading CTS
> (which may not be used in the usual flow control scheme)

It might be a tall order to get the ":cheap" $9 USB to Serial adapter
to do Request to Send / Clear to Send / hardware handshaking ...
probably should consider Xon / Xoff / software handshaking instead =
not a problem for the least expensive USB to Serial adapters. (Ctrl
S / Ctrl Q being easy from the command line or script to get the port
to respond.)

Ed Karns
FireWireStuff.com