[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 30 19:51:01 PDT 2005

At 07:07 PM 9/30/2005, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > Did I mention that the latest redhattish OS Gaussian will support on i386
> > is Red Hat 9? And that in general they will not support you if you install
> > security patches?
>
>jeez.  the whole concept of support is an interesting one.  the owner's
>manual for your car doesn't have a list of "supported" roads, for instance.
>the car is warranted against all defects under normal conditions/etc.
>all driving/roads are supported except abusive ones.
>
>we expect carmakers to fix defective vehicles.  and yet, we somehow do this
>without the auto equivalent of some super-LSB standard, ABI, testsuite.
>if your new car has a wobbly rearview mirror, they fix it.  why is that so
>hard in the software world?  it's sad...

mostly because they've been making cars for 100 years, and selling consumer
software for only 30.

Better if you compare support practices for cars of the 1910s and 20s with
today's software.
(or modern British cars.. you do have a mechanic who checks your car out
every weekend, don't you?)

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075