[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Fri Sep 30 14:05:49 PDT 2005

"Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Leif Nixon wrote:
>
>> So what about us poor souls who need to have several versions of the
>> same package installed in parallel? Like five gcc versions, two Dalton
>> versions, two Gaussian (spit!) versions, three Molcas versions, two
>> Matlab versions...
>
> The right solution or the practical solution?  The right solution is to
> firebomb somebody's house (or possibly begin with delicately veiled
> threats and a horse's head in their beds) until a company that is
> selling you software actually bothers to do as decent a job of packaging
> and keeping up with linux as all the developers in the world do who are
> doing it for free (or as part of an open source initiative, anyway).

Sir, you tempt me.

Did I mention that the latest redhattish OS Gaussian will support on i386
is Red Hat 9? And that in general they will not support you if you install
security patches?

That's right, "the unmodified, unpatched original CD distributions as
released by the vendor" is the only supported configuration. Install
any patches, and you're on your own.

> However, since the Evil here is both incredibly, appallingly obvious to
> us all -- and not your fault, I give you Absolution for any hackery you
> have to engage in while you're looking for plutonium on the black
> market.

Excellent! I'll see you in court. (As a defense witness, that is.)

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert